Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Simple Pleasures to brighten your day!


A little trick I like to use to make my days much more pleasant is to find little, simple pleasures and sprinkle them throughout my day.
They’re not big things, but they each simple pleasure can translate to a great day if you use them right.
So in the morning, I might have a cup of coffee, and sip it slowly to enjoy it fully. I might read a gripping novel, and revel in the world of fiction. I might watch the sun come up, and marvel at the world.
For breakfast, I love eating hot dosas very slowly. I savor each one, closing my eyes. In the shower, I might also close my eyes, and just let the cool water run over me (I live on a tropical island, so cool water is a nice thing).
You get the idea — these are little things, and don’t really cost a thing (or not much, anyway), but they are tremendously satisfying. I’ve just described some of the things I might do to start off my day, but the possibilities are endless, and can be done throughout the day.
I thought it would be fun to compile a list of simple pleasures, to give you all some ideas of what I mean, and to spark other ideas of your own. Of course, you can probably come up with a thousand more, and it should also be noted that one person’s pleasures aren’t always pleasures for others.

1. Dosas.
2. Walking barefoot in grass.
3. Listening to good music in the car or while riding bike.
4. Taking a long, relaxing shower.
5. Coffee.
6. A good novel.
7. Popcorn and an old movie on DVD.
8. The smell of fresh-cut grass.
9. Watching the sunrise.
10. Walking on the beach.
11. A gentle morning run.
12. Yoga or stretching or meditation.
13. Watching the sunset.
14. Hugging a child tightly.
15. Good orange juice.
16. Dark chocolate.
17. Telling jokes till your sides ache.
18. A long conversation with a good friend.
19. Being lazy on a Sunday.
20. Waking to a clean house.
21. An uncluttered room.
22. Fries and a chocolate milkshake.
23. Watching a child play.
24. Fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies from coffee day.
25. Helping someone in need.
26. Making someone smile.
27. Cooking a dish for your family.
28. A nature hike.
29. Laying back and watching the stars.
30. Making a sandcastle.
31. Floating in the watertub.
32. Taking an afternoon nap.
33. Laying back and looking up at clouds.
34. Watching the ocean.
35. Getting a massage. This I do when I cut my hair.
36. Seeing your savings account grow.
37. Seeing your debt shrink.
38. Taking a hot bath.
39. Blowing bubbles.
40. A gentle breeze.
41. Playing a good game of badminton.
42. The smell of a new notebook.
43. Swinging on a swing.
44. Writing on good paper with a good pen.
45. A clear desk.
46. Fresh popped popcorn.
47. Having a picnic.
48. Homemade Biriyani.
49. Watching animals in nature.
50. Drenching in Rain and stomping the puddles.
51. An empty email inbox.
52. A fresh snow.
53. Watching a good game of cricket.
54. Dancing like you’re crazy.
55. Pillow fights with children.
56. The feeling after a good workout.
57. Checking something off your to-do list.
58. Banana split.
59. Iced green tea.
60. Watching children burst crackers on diwali time.
61. Cadbury’s chocolate.
62. Sweets distributed during birthdays.
63. Chatting nonsensical or about inventing something with a friend.
64. Writing a mail on how much you felt today to your best friend.
65. Getting scolding from parents and acting as if nothing went in your ears.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the nice piece of information Simon. Keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

I too was brightenup with some of these simple pleasures, but only on seeing this list, realising how much i am missing to enjoy little pleasures in life...Thanku for this blog..
One more thing to add in this list..
Watching thru a window on a rainy day ,listening to an old song with some hot popcorn in hand....
--S.S