Wednesday, May 28, 2008

How 911 affected me!!


This incident happened when I was bound to fly from Chicago to New Jersey in the year'07. The flight was scheduled at 6:45am and I was already late to the airport thanks to the traffic. My cousin barely succeeded in getting me to the airport on the scheduled boarding time.

When I reached the airport, I was visibly able to watch a big queue standing as in our railway reservation counters. (Only difference is, this is for security check to board a flight). Seeing this, my hope to catch the flight died off. Still I kick started my spirit and asked for a boarding pass. The clerk clearly told me I won’t be able to catch this flight and it is better to opt for the next flight. I had to get to my office and just could not afford to take half a day leave. But I was left with no other option than to catch the next flight which was scheduled at 8:45am. So I had to make up excuses to my boss on the inability of coming to office for half a day. After collecting the ticket, I joined the big queue.

When I was about to be allowed for security check the Lady Security officer looked me head to toe as if looking at an alien and asked me to give my passport. Going through my passport and me for a couple of times and asking a question of which part of India, she wrote "SSSS" on the boarding pass and punched a star in that. I was wondering what is happening and but I kept my cool thinking it would be a normal procedure. After that I entered the normal security check line but she stopped me abruptly and asked me to wait in a separate area. I was getting tensed wondering what the heck is happening?

After that an officer came and asked me to meet a officer and told me " What have you done sir to get caught today? I was completely perplexed with this question and told him the only word "Nothing". After looking at my worried face (which I wanted to keep coz I dont know what lies ahead) he told me that this is a kinda routine to catch few people in random and pass through this rigorous test after the 911 incident. Today you have just become the scape goat.

Ok, then made up my mind to do whatever they asked me to do. First they asked me to remove all the accessories am wearing. Thank god they didn’t asked me to undress! After that I was asked to stand in a room surrounded my glass walls. I guess it is scanning the entire body for finding anything susceptible in the body. After I came out they asked me to open the baggage I had. They didn’t even touched my bag as if am carryin ammunition. I had a bottle of water which they asked me to throw it off. Just minutes before I had bought that but I couldn’t explain anything.

Then they saw the lappy in my bag and asked me intriguing questions as if it was stolen. They scanned the laptop too. I don’t know how it senses the contents inside. Finally they relieved me saying “Sorry for making you go through this check”

I thought for a moment, "For bookin your timesheets, why do you guys unnerve innocent people!!”

After the final check, I was relieved and had to gulp down a heavy load of water to get myself feel relaxed.

No comments: